The below timeline will walk you through the creation of our beloved park, with some key years. Starting from the beginning in 1979 right up until 2023.
Hedley and Ann Lamb bought Barmoor Castle as a landlocked, derelict and neglected 12 acre estate in need of alot of love and care.
The first area of the Park, ‘Cannon Lawn’ is opened. We felt Cannon Lawn was an appropriate name because it is believed that Brig-General William Sitwell brought a Cannon back from Khartoum and it stood proudly on this area for many years. At the time of developing Cannon Lawn Hedley followed industry standards when building the pitches, but soon came to the realisation that this is not what he wanted from Barmoor Castle, so to make it special he decided that going forward, more spaces between pitches were needed to allow people the space to breathe. Cannon Lawn has some of the best views on the park.
Palm Lawn, which was the 2nd phase of park development. Creating an additional 35 pitches which were occupied very quickly.
Palm Lawn was named this as there is a palm tree in the centre of the lawn and it is believed that the Sitwells brought this back from either Egypt or India. We have since planted two more palm trees.
Purchase of surrounding farm land, including the original west entrance which had been excluded from connection to the castle for nearly 100 years and no longer resembled a road
Marks the year of completion of our woodland and nature walk. The walk cover 1600 meters and over 10,000 trees were planted over a two year period.
The West Entrance was officially opened. The gate commemorates the fact that The Earl of Surrey and the English Army numbering over 25,000 men camped at Barmoor on the 8th September 1513 before marching into battle with the Scots at Flodden the next day. The detail on the gates were designed and hand made by local blacksmith Steven Mather. They show details of pikes and swords together with emblems of the sides that met in battle on that fateful day in history. This was the last battle where longbows were used as weapons.
Two fountains were installed – one in the court yard and one on Palm Lawn to mark the 25th Anniversary of the opening of the park.
Opened on Sunday 22nd July 2018, Hedley Hall saw the realisation of a dream of Jamie, Ann and Jodi to create a true hub for activities in the park.
Named after the late and much missed Hedley Lamb, Hedley Hall was designed by Berwick architect David Dobbson.
Freddie Lamb born as 3rd generation successor.
Newest area of the park ‘Back Croft’ was officially opened, followed shortly after by Lake Wood in January 2022.
The Lamb Family branch out and expand by taking over the running and management of a new park – Lucker Country Park.
The Willerby Dorchester is a truly luxurious holiday home, equipped with everything you need to escape everyday life and make the most of your leisure time.